Opportunities for Volunteers
We are fortunate to have a wonderful library. Here is a list of some opportunities to choose from in order to help the library and its staff:
If you are interested in helping on a short-term or long-term basis, contact the reference desk at the library (973-226-5441) and leave your name and information about what you would like to do.
- Hospitality. Help organize and/or serve refreshments for movies, meetings, and/or special occasions.
- Read shelves. Check and relocate books and materials to their assigned place in a specific genre or category. Due to browsing and lots of use, materials are sometimes out of order.
- Story Hour. Assist story hour librarian by helping with crowd control and special needs of youngsters as well as craft projects..
- Summer Reading Club. Volunteers are needed to help with the SRC table and with special programs.
- Books-To-Go. Assist in delivery and pick-up of materials for those who can not easily access our library.
- Magazine Exchange (located near the reference desk). Share your finished periodicals with others and borrow some new ones.
- Special help projects. From time to time, a special project needs to be completed, i.e. switching DVDs to new cases.
- Veterans Oral History Project. Assist with refreshments and recordings of these amazing war stories.
- Special Events. For an author's night, help sell books or for another special occasions like our International Dinner help with arrangements, e.g. publicity, decorations, program, etc.
- Book Donations. Donate some books for the library book sale. Clean off your shelves and help others.
- Help with InfoBytes. Write an article or book review of interest to patrons to be published in our quarterly newsletter or help prepare the mailings.
- Photocopy information and flyers. Easy to do, even if you only have a few minutes.
- Help with projects in the Local History and Genealogy Room.