Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
Q: I'm selling my house, how do I get a smoke detector inspection?
A: Come into the Building, Planning, and Zoning Office at the Municipal Building. There is a $35.00 fee and the inspections are done Monday - Friday 8:45 AM OR 5:15 PM. You can download the application in advance here. Also review our inspection preparation checklist here.
Q: What is a Knox® Box and how can I purchase one for my business or home?
A; The West Caldwell Fire Department utilizes the Knox® Box Rapid Entry System to prevent costly entry damage while protecting property and lives. When a fire breaks out, an alarm sounds or a sprinkler system activates, Knox® products allow immediate entry into buildings and property without forced entry damage or delay. For more information on the program, including instructions on ordering, click here.
Q: What is regular garbage and what is a special pick-up?
A: Regular sanitary service includes the following items for curbside pickup
- Household refuse, commonly called "wet garbage"
- Household appliances and furniture
- Tree branches UNDER 6 inches in diameter and UNDER 4 feet in length, which MUST be securely tied and bundled
- Christmas trees (watch TV 36 for the specially designated days in January when these can be collected for recycling)
The Township also provides residents with a special debris pick-up. Homeowners who wish to arrange for this service must call 226-2300 AND must deposit all items curbside for retrieval (debris left on a resident's property WILL NOT be picked up). The following waste is authorized for D.P.W. collection:
- Tree trunks and branches larger than 6 inches in diameter and four feet in length - if removed by the homeowner and if they cannot be cut and bundled for the regular garbage collector.
- Limited building materials NOT resulting from a contractor's work or major work by homeowner, such as removal of a roof or repairs and improvements that would normally require the homeowner to rent a dumpster. Contractors MUST remove their own debris.
- Car parts, only from the homeowner's personal vehicles, provided they can be lifted by one person.
The Township does review repeated requests to make sure contractors' materials are not disposed of at taxpayers' expense.
Q: How do I get a passport?
A: In order to obtain a passport you must call the county offices at (973) 621-4920.
What's your Frequently Asked Question?
or E-Mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org